Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton Athletic Football Club app


Match Report: Ashton Athletic 3 Winsford United 0

2 years ago By Peter Barton

Kusaloka brace fires Yellows to victory.

Ashton Athletic returned to league action against a Winsford United side who also have games in hand due to cup competitions.

The Yellows made a number of changes that lost 2-1 to AFC Emley in the Buildbase FA Vase. Joe Sargent came in at right back to replace Aaron Cringle, Sam Bailey replaced Chris Webster in midfield and Adam Gilchrist partnered Isaac Kusaloka with Danny Smith starting on the bench. Ross Shepherd made a welcome return from injury on the bench

Ashton started the brighter of the 2 teams, with the Winsford keeper being called into action in only the 2nd minute of the game having to make a save from an Kusaloka shot. Chances from Joel Brownhill, Mike Mylona and Sam Bailey failed to hit the target before Isaac Kusaloka put the Yellows 1-0 ahead in the 30th minute. A through ball by Sam Bailey was picked up by Danny Regan just inside the box, whose low cross was controlled by Isaac Kusaloka and slotted into the corner of the net to the left of the keeper.

Winsford had most of the possession but it was the Yellows who edged the first half with the chances they created, but being unable to find the cutting edge to add to the score as neither keeper had much to do in the half. Winsford registered their first shot on on the Ashton goal in the 45th minute which didn't trouble Martin Pearson.

In the final action of the half, Adam Gilchrist fed Isaac Kusaloka with a great through ball, who ran onto the ball on the edge of the box, he sidestepped one challenge, slipped and recovered to sidestep another challenge and the keeper and slotted the ball into the empty net to make it 2-0.

HT: Ashton Athletic 2 Winsford United 0

The Yellows started the 2nd half strongly as they, once again, had chances to add to the scoreline, but Winsford started to get into the game and started to look dangerous going forward. Chances from Scott Taylor and Steve Jennions went over the bar and Ben Kay hooking a clearance away for the chance to end as a goal kick.

Ashton had few chances in this half, with the Winsford keeper cutting out a Joe Sargent cross before the Blues continued their attempts to get back into the game. Luke Holden blocked a shot and the Winsford players and fans appealled for a penalty which was not given and from the resulting corner, Martin Pearson dropped a catch, only to recover it at the second attempt, diving at the feet of an onrushing attacker.

The Blues had the ball in the back of the net. Riley tussled with Luke Holden to reach a ball that was played over the top, he lobbed Martin Pearson and the ball nestled in the back of the net but the ref disallowed the goal after he blew for a foul on Holden. The Winsford captain was booked for protesting the disallowed goal.

The Yellows started to have more possession in the last 10 minutes and both teams had good chances to score and in the final minute a long ball found Danny Smith out on the right and he holds the ball up then lays the ball to Paul Watson, who hit a 30 yard screamer into the top left hand side of the goal to make it 3-0.

Winsford ended the game strongly, making Martin Pearson make 2 good saves, but it was Ashton who came out on top to record only their first clean sheet in the league this season.

FT: Ashton Athletic 3 Winsford United 0

Updated 19:37 - 29 Sep 2016 by Peter Barton

Where next?

Match Reports from Ashton U14's Girls Two tough games against Blackpool and Burnley
Ashton Athletic 18's win 2 games in 3 days! League and FA Cup games for Young Yellows

Up your game with easyfundraising

Tue 23 Oct
First Team Charnock Richard
League 19:45
Sat 27 Oct
First Team Irlam
League 15:00
Fri 2 Nov
First Team Congleton Town
League 19:45

News sponsors


Club sponsors